Print this page

What Financial Help Can I Get For My Child’s Education?

Some parents worry about the cost of formal childcare or early education for their child. Remember that all 3- and 4-year-olds are entitled to free part-time education.

You may also be able to get help through the Child Tax Credit depending on your income and circumstances. The childcare part of the Working Tax Credit may pay for some of your eligible childcare costs. There is a maximum amount. You can get a claim pack by calling 0845 300 3900 or you can pick one up from your local Jobcentre Plus. Some employers might also give tax-free vouchers to help pay for childcare.

If you are a single parent, then, under the New Deal for Lone Parents, you can get help with childcare costs while you attend appointments with your Personal Adviser, job interviews or take part in approved training or work trials. You can find out more by calling 0845 606 2626 or visit the website at

Local authorities have access to the Social Inclusion Fund which can help with holiday and out-of-school childcare. The fund helps those on a low income with children under 14. This includes Travellers on temporary or permanent sites and refugees and asylum seekers in their first year of settlement.

You can get more information from HM Revenue & Customs’ Help with the Costs of Childcare: Information for Parents and Childcare Providers at or from the orderline at 08459 000404.