Print this page

What If I Have Concerns About My Child’s School?

If you have concerns about the way in which the National Curriculum is being delivered or about how your child is treated in school, you might first of all contact his/her teacher. If that doesn’t work, try discussing the matter with the head teacher. If your complaint still isn’t sorted out, then you can complain to the governing body of the school in writing.

State schools have a procedure for dealing with complaints and you can ask to see a copy of this. For some complaints, a special governors’ complaint panel may be called.

Local authorities also need to have a complaints procedure so if you are dissatisfied with the way in which the school is dealing with the problem, you can make a complaint in writing to the local authority.

As a last resort, you have the right to complain to the Secretary of State in the Department for Children, Schools and Families if you feel that the school’s governing body or the local authority is acting ‘unreasonably’. This would mean that they are behaving as no reasonable school or authority would do in the circumstances.